learn to draw from your imagination! applications for 2019 are now open!
Workshop: Traditional & Digital Painting for Concept Art
COMMENCES: July 25th to September 12th, 2019
DURATION: 8 weeks
TIMES: Thursday afternoons from 2pm to 5pm
PRICE: $880 incl. GST
For further enquiries please:
Traditional & Digital Painting for Concept Art is an eight-week course taught by Art Director and Concept Artist, Evan Shipard.
The course incorporates traditional painting practices into the digital workflow. The advantages of digital tools extend beyond the efficient production of artwork. Professional artists also apply classical styles and techniques to the digital medium. Evan strives to imbue his artwork with authenticity and vitality through the application of traditional practices.
The course explores the similarities and differences between traditional and digital approaches through the creation of a scene within the medieval period. Firstly, students will paint a life model, dressed in a medieval costume. Students will then develop their painting into a narrative shot for a film production.
This jam-packed program is suitable for artist who possess a basic proficiency in Adobe Photoshop. If you desire to “shake-up” your workflow through the integration of traditional practices, and learn how to paint a professional scene, then this course is for you.
The topics covered will include:
- Understanding how to implement an efficient digital workflow
- Understanding how to paint from life, both traditionally and digitally
- Understanding the painting approach of master artists
- Understanding colour and light to create mood and atmosphere
- Understanding silhouettes, and gestures
- Understanding how to create a successful composition
The course progresses through the following topics:
Tools & Approaches:
- Understanding digital painting setups and toolsets
- Understanding traditional approaches to drawing
- Understanding traditional approaches to studies from life
- Understanding how to reference classical artists
Media & Design:
- Understanding the different traditional media
- Understanding how to explore digital mediums
- Understanding value, silhouettes, and gestures
- Understanding shapes and simplification
Thumbnails & Compositions:
- Understanding the importance of thumbnails, sketches, and ideation
- Understanding oil painting work-flows through practical demonstrations
- Understanding the construction of compositions through practical demonstrations
Cinema & Narrative:
- Understanding how to refine the composition
- Understanding cinematic techniques
- Understanding the key narrative elements within a painting
- Understanding digital painting through traditional approaches
Evan is a classically trained fine artist, with two decades of experience in the entertainment industry. He has worked with some of the largest companies in the world as an Art Director, digital Matte Painter, and Concept Artist, on projects such as 300, Knowing, The Wolverine, The Chronicles of Narnia, Alien: Covenant, Halo, Battlefield, and Assassin’s Creed. Evan is dedicated to conveying mood and drama through his impressionistic style at his studio in Sydney.