learn to draw from your imagination! applications for 2019 are now open!
Workshop: Introduction to Human Anatomy
COMMENCES: November 6th, 2018
WHEN: 1 evening a week for 6 weeks
DURATION: Tuesday evenings from 6pm to 9pm
PRICE: $600+GST ($660 incl. GST)
For further enquiries please:
Introduction to Human Anatomy is a short course that focuses exclusively on the basics of drawing the human form. If you have ever desired to draw characters for concept art, storyboards, or comic books, then this is the place to start!
Our jam-packed six-week program covers the essential you need to take your skills to the next level. It is also the perfect way to prepare for our comprehensive core program.
Introduction to Human Anatomy includes:
- How to capture the gesture of the figure
- How to find the balance of the figure
- How to establish the correct proportions
- How to commence the skeletal structure
- How to simplify complex forms
- How to foreshorten complex poses
- How to capture the gestures of the head
- How to find the landmarks of the body
Join our friendly and engaging classes, where you’ll learn the anatomical principles that are required to draw characters from your imagination.
In addition to the proportions of the human form, you will also learn techniques that will help you to confidently draw the figure on the page.
Introduction to Human Anatomy is the ideal pathway into our intensive core program. Our core program thoroughly teaches students the fundamentals of drawing, and develops the foundation skills that are required to become professional illustrator.
Each week consists of a Tuesday evening:
week 01: capturing the figure
- Understanding how to capture the whole form of the figure
- Understanding how to ensure that the figure is in correct balance
week 02: establishing proportions
- Understanding the major proportions of the human body
- Applying anatomical proportions to forms
- Retaining gestural linework
week 03: introducing the skeleton
- Understanding the major proportions of the human skeleton
- Relating the human skeleton to the muscles and forms of the body
week 04: simplifying forms
- Understanding how to simplify the major forms of the human body
- Examination of the rib cage and pelvis
week 05: capturing the skull
- Understanding the proportions of the human skull
- Capturing the gesture of the head
- Retaining gestural linework
week 06: foreshortening complex poses
- Understanding the foreshortening of complex poses in space
- Understanding how to draw the arms, legs, hands, and feet in perspective
- Understanding the essential landmarks of the human body
Jessica Ashton is an artist and educator. She has taught anatomy and drawing at The Julian Ashton Art School for over ten years, and is represented by the Dickerson Gallery. Jess has been a finalist in numerous art prizes, including the Archibald Art Prize, NSW Parliament Plein Air Painting Prize, the Warringah Art Prize, the Mosman Art Prize, and the Alice Bale Scholarship. Jess paints in a realistic style. She captures light and atmospheric effects in scenes with figurative elements.