learn to draw from your imagination! applications for 2019 are now open!
Introduction to Illustration
COMMENCES: July 22nd to September 9th, 2019
DURATION: 8 weeks
TIMES: Monday evenings from 6:30pm to 9:30pm
PRICE: $880 incl. GST
For further enquiries please:
Introduction to Illustration is a short course that focuses exclusively on the basics of drawing for artists who are new to the craft of illustration. If you have ever desired to draw concept art, storyboards, or comic books, then this is the place to start!
Our jam-packed eight-week program covers the essential you need to take your skills to the next level. It is also the perfect way to prepare for our comprehensive core program.
Introduction to Illustration includes:
- How to use traditional illustration materials
- How to effectively execute line-work
- How to construct basic forms in perspective
- How to construct basic scenes in perspective
- How to apply basic lighting and shadows to objects
- How to draw basic figures and creatures
- How to effectively compose a scene
- How to accurately draw from life
Join our friendly and engaging classes, where you’ll learn to draw familiar characters, creatures, props, and environments from popular culture.
You will also learn about the different types of creative careers within the Australian and international entertainment industry, and the skills it takes to secure employment.
Introduction to Illustration is the ideal pathway into our intensive core program. Our core program thoroughly teaches students the fundamentals of drawing, and develops the foundation skills that are required to become professional illustrator.
The course progresses through the following topics:
- Understanding how to use to materials, such as pencils, felt tip pens, and markers
- Understanding how to execute linework
- Understanding how to render forms
- Understanding how to cast light and shadows
- Understanding how to draw from life in correct proportion
- Understanding the fundamentals of one-point and two-point perspective
- Drawing objects in correct scale
- Drawing geometric forms using the draw-through method
- Drawing organic forms using the draw-through method
- Understanding the basic construction of props
- Drawing simple props in perspective from popular culture
- Understanding the basic construction of the human figure
- Drawing figures from popular culture, such as superheroes and manga characters
- Understanding the basic construction of creatures
- Drawing simple creatures from popular culture
- Understanding the fundamentals of composing shots
- Drawing simple environments in perspective
- Creating a composition from scratch
- Rendering compositions
- Working as an artist in the entertainment industry
Tony has worked as a Layout and Storyboard Artist on 2D animated shows and 3D animated films for over twenty years. His projects have ranged from stylized cartoons, such as Woody Woodpecker and Tex Avery, to elaborate Disney films, such as Bambi and Brother Bear. In recent years, Tony has focused on visual development and storyboards for film and television projects.